Comparative adjectives compare differences between the two elements they modify (larger, smaller, faster, more difficult).
- Her flat is larger than ours
- This tablet is smaller than the one I lost
- You walk faster than me
Superlative adjectives indicate the greatest degree of a quality (the tallest, the smallest, the most vulnerable).
- Juan is the tallest student in our class
- He is the kindest cat I know
- Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world
Forming comparatives and superlatives depends on the number of syllables of the adjective, that is, whether it is a short or a long word.
“ONE SYLLABLE” OR SHORT ADJECTIVES
Add -er for the comparative and -est for the superlative: ➯ NICE ➣ nicer ➣ the nicest . If the adjective has a consonant + single vowel + consonant, the final consonant doubles.
“one syllable” adjectives
They can form the comparative either by adding -er or by preceeding the adjective with more. They can form the superlative either by adding -est or by preceeding the adjective with most. In many cases, both forms are used, but more and most are more frequently used.
Adjectives ending in ➣y change to an ➣i , and must change ➯ ➣ er ➣ est , as in ➯ BUSY ➣ busier ➣ the busiest
They always form the comparative with more and the superlative with most.
|important||more important||the most important|
|expensive||more expensive||the most expensive|
|dangerous||more dangerous||the most dangerous|
Irregular comparatives and superlatives
|far||further / farther||the furthest / farthest|
- My bike is better than yours
- Your bike is less striking than mine
- This is the best large cylinder bike in the store
- That is the least spectacular bike in the store
- I am far from home, but you are even farther
- For further details, visit website
- The furthest corners of the human mind may be horrifying
reference: English for Life Pre-Intermediate Oxford
Make sentences comparing the two elements:
➣Dogs are friendlier than cats
➣The radio is sometimes more interesting than TV
MAKE SENTENCES in the superlative:
➣Maths is the worst school subject
➣Prepositions are the most difficult thing in english
Read and listen about Scotland
reference: English for Life Beginner Oxford